Monday, April 22, 2013

Reupholstering a Sofa Chair, Getting Started

After many years of not using our formal dining room, I decided to turn it into a useful space.
 
First, I wanted to find some comfy chairs.  Of course, I couldn't find any I could afford that looked the way I wanted them to.  So I decided to settle for what I could find.  We came across two chairs on Craigslist.  They were super comfy, in good shape and I loved them.  (Well, everything but the fabric.) 
 


I slept on it many nights and had several discussions with Mom about what to do.  (Whenever I am not sure what to do with something I always talk things out with her.  We brainstorm and always come up with the right answer together.)  She encouraged me to go for it and tackle reupholstering them. 
I was scared.  I had never done anything like this before, EVER!  So after a few weeks of researching other blogs, I decided to just go for it. 
 
Here are some of the places that I went to for my research.... 

 (and many more.)
 
So the next question is...  How much fabric do I need?  Here is the best resource out there. 
Brooke over at All Things Thrifty posted this wonderful chart showing how much fabric you need. 
Here is the link to her post.  All Things Thrifty - How much fabric   It is a must read. 
 
Off to the fabric store I went.  Of course, everything I liked or wanted was way more than I wanted to spend.  I figured for my chairs I would need between 5-7 yards of fabric per chair.  So when all the fabric I loved was between $25 and $30/yard.  I was panicking.  How was I going to do this? 
 
Being the thrifty girl I am, the big red CLEARANCE sign caught my eye.  Fabric Depot here in Portland, OR has a huge Home Decor Clearance/Bargain Fabric Area.  It is worth a look, trust me.  I ended up finding fabric that I loved, in the exact color I wanted, for a price I could smile about. 
 
Yay!!!! 
 
Now it was time to get started!  Check out how I did it here..... Reupholstering Chair, Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment