Monday, April 15, 2013

My Work Space is Finished

I know it has been a while since I have posted.  I have completed many projects that I am so excited to share with you.

First I wanted to share my finished work space.  This is where a lot of time is spent getting ideas and is also where blogging happens.  This was a bunch of little projects that came together to create a space I enjoy. 


I previously posted my Sawhorse Pallet Desk and The Painted Chair Makeover.  (click on the links to check them out.) 

Here is the run down on the other little projects that I did to finish off this space.......

First, the large bulletin board.  This one was a little time consuming but I am so happy with how it turned out. 
I purchased the frame last year at a barn sale for $3.00. 

It was silver when I got it.  I thought that I could just quickly repaint it but that was not the case.  Turns out that the silver was painted over the top of gold paper covering the frame and of course it was peeling off.  I knew if I tried to paint over it I wouldn't get the result I wanted. So I started peeling and scraping.  Once I got all the gold and silver off, I then got the remaining paper wet and scraped that off. 

(Finally down to the bare wood and time to paint.)
 
I decided to paint it the same color as the sawhorses to tie it all together.  Then I distressed it a little and the frame was done.
 
Next came the cork board.  I had a piece of wood out in the garage that fit into the frame perfectly.  (what are the chances, never happens.Then I attached the cork to the wood.  (tried using spray adhesive but that didn't hold, so I ended up using tacky glue.)  Stacked a ton of books on top and waited for the glue to dry.

 
(an important little tip: make sure you trace the inside of the frame and cut your cork to fit.  If you make it the size of the wood it will not fit in the frame correctly.)
 
I didn't really want it to look like a plain old bulletin board.  Not very fond of that.  So I covered ti with a piece of burlap.  Was super easy.  Just cut the burlap, wrapped and stapled it to the back and voila!
 
Next little part to this was the crates I used to hold my goodies.  This was really easy and inexpensive too.  I pick up these little crates from the thrift store all the time, just in case I need them. 
 
 
(As you can see, I remembered to take the before picture after I started staining the first one.)
 
All I did was stain them the same color as the desk top, Minwax Dark Walnut.  I then figured out where I wanted to hang them and put them up.  I didn't want to make a ton of holes in the wall so I used the little 3m strips (2 on each crate), on all but one.  One of the crates I used screws with wall anchors because I knew what I was putting in there would be heavy.  It is one of my favorite finds.
(This little antique phone.  I found it at an estate sale for $2.00.  It was used on a switchboard at one time.  It still has all the original cords attached with the little plugs for the switchboard. )
It is a heavy little thing.
I made a little sign to go above the bulletin board.  It is made out of wood from an old pallet. I will probably change out at some point.  
 


And just found a few things around the house to fill my little crates.  I am sure as I find other great things on my travels I will change them out as well. 
 
The last little thing I added was this cute little "spinning wheel lamp" I found at a garage sale last summer.  I bought it for $1.00, yes a dollar.
 
It wasn't working, so we took the wiring out of another lamp I didn't want any longer, and rewired it.  Then I took a little shade I found at the thrift store for cheap, and covered it with some straw rope.  Cleaned up the lamp and it is a perfect fit. 
 

There is only one thing missing from this space to make it complete.  Check back in the next few days to see the unveiling of my favorite piece so far.  I am so excited about it and can't wait to share. 

Total cost of this space:  About $30.00 from top to bottom!!!
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Wow! You have been busy! Looks great! I LOVE that little lamp of yours!

    ReplyDelete