Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sawhorse Pallet Desk

 
Sawhorse Pallet Desk


 
 
I am so excited to share with you my Sawhorse and Pallet Wood Desk.  
 
My inspiration for this desk came from the "Pallet Wood Desk" made by Donna over at Funky Junk Interiors.  It was love at first sight and I knew I needed one of my own. 
 
So all summer I looked and looked and looked for a pair of wooden sawhorses.  Every garage and estate sale I went to, I would cross my fingers in hopes of finding a pair.  NO LUCK!!!  The frustration set in and I gave up.  I thought that I would never have the desk I wanted. 
Then one day, on my way home from work.....  the freeway was a mess, so I decided to take a different route.  As I was driving down the road, I saw a man putting these sawhorses out by the curb.  I slowed down in hopes he was getting rid of them.  Then I saw the FREE sign.  Trying to control my excitement, I pulled over and threw them in the back of my car.  (They are not as great as hers but they work.)
 
Now that I had found these simple sawhorses, it was time to pick a color.  This was not an easy process for me.  I have to say, I am a little scared of the bright colors.  I have always stayed on the safe side and stuck with neutrals.  That was until I saw this craft room desk made by Kelsey over at Poofy Cheeks.  Donna at Funky Junk Interiors shared it one day.  I fell in love with the colors she chose and knew that was exactly what I wanted.  I looked through my Sherwin-Williams paint chips and chose the color. I ended using Raindrop which I thought was close to what she used. And slapped on the paint.
 
Then it was time to figure out how to make the desk top.  Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of this process.  (Sorry!)  With a little help from "Jones" we built a frame and hooked it to the painted sawhorses.  Then I picked through my stock pile of pallets for the pieces I wanted to use.  After laying it all out, and making the necessary cuts, I put the top together.
It was important to me that it not look like one uniform piece.  I wanted the pieces to be staggered like a wood floor would be. 
 
I sanded, and sanded, and sanded and yep more sanding, until there was no chance that this desk would give me any splinters. 
 Then it was time to stain it.  As you can see from the picture, I used Minwax Dark Walnut. 
 
It went from this:
 
 
To this:
 
I love the way the stain brought out the detail in the wood and I am so happy with the whole thing.
 
 
I am still working on the other details of my work space and cannot wait to share them with you.   
 
I now have a space to look for new ideas, hunt for great pieces 
and share all of my transformed "Unfinished Finds" with you. 
 
What has inspired you?  What does your work space look like? 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Sawhorse and Pallet Wood Desk.I really appreciate your design and talent.Great job.The online Bed Shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love sharing my projects and ideas in hopes of inspiring others. Just hard finding the time lately to post. Keep checking back though. More fun to come.

      Delete